Diet plays a crucial role in managing and controlling high blood pressure. A right diet can drastically help in lowering your blood pressure. Below are some useful dietary guidelines for patient suffering from hypertension.
1. Restrict animal protein intake. Meat, chicken, eggs and milk should also be used in restricted quantities. Vegetables and fruits should be preferred.
2. Restrict fat energy to 10-15%. Decrease fat energy sources such as ghee, butter, fish oils, groundnut oil, mustard oil, coconut oil and safflower oil in your diet. The total intake per day should be decreased to 5-10 grams. Prepare almost boiled vegetables without oils so that the major source of energy is carbohydrates with a fibrous diet.
3. Carbohydrates should be the main source of energy. Your diet should include lemon, amla, apple, papaya, orange, watermelon, tomato and green vegetables. Apple has the tendency to increase frequency of urine, thus lowering blood pressure. Fresh fruits should be preferred over fresh juice of those fruits so that fiber is included in your diet.
4. Restrict salt intake to 1-2 gm. Also avoid canned vegetables, fruits and their juices. Salty biscuits, mayonnaise preparations and other salad dressing should be strictly prohibited. High sodium vegetables as spinach, white turnips, mustard green, carrots and beetroots should be limited. Cereals such as cornflakes and quick-cooking oats are salty preparations too. Thin bread made from wheat flour should be preferred over bread and bread rolls.
5. Strictly prohibit smoking and alcohol.
Along with precautions and home remedies, medication has to be taken after consulting a doctor. Try to live a stress free life. Do shavasan frequently. Other light exercises that do not stress the heart must be practiced within limits.
In case of severely hypertensive patients, blood pressure check-up should be done daily; in fact, it should be twice or thrice a day. Medicines have to be strictly taken to normalize blood pressure. Control of high blood pressure has been shown to reduce the incidence of stroke, heart attack and other complications such as heart failure, renal failure and myocardial infarction.
Read Home Remedies for High Blood Pressure and know how to manage and control high BP naturally. Lose your excess body fat using natural Fat Loss Diet.
Copyright © Ryan Mutt, All Rights Reserved.